Monday, April 18, 2011

Day 14


I know I didn't post yesterday, but as usual, I was really busy. It's almost passover here, which means that when we're not frantically cleaning every inch or our house, we're cooking everything in sight. Busy busy busy. But never fear, I'm still watching my movies, and I'm still going to blog about them. Like I'm doing right now:


Day 14: Together


Two weeks into the project, and I've seen my first foreign language film. Together is a Swedish movie set in Sweden in the 1970's. The plot centers around the unconventional lives of a group of friends and relatives living together in a commune. I'm not sure how Netflix knew to recommend this movie to me, but I'm glad that the monkey-bots that run the site suggested it. The movie has lots of different elements in it, many of which are favorite for me. It's got GLBT characters, unconventional families, counter-culture and of course comedic misunderstandings. There's a lot going on in the movie, but the main plot centers around the character of Elisabeth, who leaves her abusive husband and brings her kids to live with her brother in his commune, called Together (Tillsammans in Swedish). Once there she meets some very unusual and possibly crazy people, like Anna, her ex-husband Lasse, and his best friend Klas, among others. I normally don't feel the need to provide any warnings for people regarding movies, since I believe that's what ratings are for. But this is a special case. Since this isn't an American movie, it doesn't come with a nice tidy letter rating, so I'm going to go ahead and tell you that it's at least an R rated picture. I say that only because this movie contains male and female nudity of the full frontal variety.

Despite the unexpected nudity, the movie was great. It was funny and interesting to watch. I gave it a solid ★★★.


If you're not too put off by the fact that this movie has subtitles, check out the trailer:




And if you've actually already seen it, I'd really love to know what you thought of it! Share your thoughts and opinions here with me in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment