Thursday, August 4, 2011

Day 15

Guess who's still alive? if you guessed CarynSKA, you'd be right! I am alive! And I'm blogging again. Sort of. Well, I'm going to do this post at least, and then maybe another, and maybe another. One thing at a time, okay?

Okay, I know it's been a really long time since I last blogged (3 months, 2 weeks and 3 days, but who's counting right?), but I really do want to finish this little movie review series I started. So I'm going to go ahead and jump back into that, and then later on I'll post about what's been going on in my life over the last several months.


Day 15: Ponyo


I remember seeing posters and ads for Ponyo right at the beginning of 2008, and I swore that I was going to see it the minute it came out. Yeah, right. It's nothing against the movie, I always do that. Anyway, I really did want to see this movie, because I am just a very little bit in love with Hayao Miyazaki and all of the wonderful, amazing things that he does. I finally got around to watching Ponyo way back in April, as the halfway mark for my Movie-A-Day project, and I really can't imagine why I waited so long! This movie is super, super cute. (I said super twice, so you know I mean it) The plot centers around a little boy named Sôsuke, and the goldfish he rescues and then names Ponyo. Ponyo doesn't really want to be a goldfish though, she would much rather be a human girl, and as she starts to turn human, she and Sôsuke end up having to save the world. Oh, and did I mention that Ponyo's father is the king of the sea, who doesn't want to see his beloved daughter turn into a human? Yeah, that kind of complicates things a bit.

If you are a fan of Miyazaki's work, then you'll understand what I mean when I say that Ponyo is every bit as cute as
My Neighbor Totoro, and every bit as captivating as Spirited Away. I've decided to award this movie ★★★★.


This movie comes highly recommended by yours truly, and if you want to check it out for yourself, here's the trailer:


If you've already seen Ponyo, (or any of Miyazaki's movies, really) I'd love to know what you thought of it! Share your thoughts and opinions here in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back.
    I'm not a huge movie buff, but I'm glad you are doing this for those who are.
    Just not my thing but I love coming here and checking out your writings and reviews.
    I see a movie every blue moon and it's usually a documentary, I'm boring..huh?
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like documentaries too. What kind do you like to watch? Care to recommend any good ones?

    ReplyDelete