Friday, May 18, 2012

Trying to Weave...

What am I doing? I'm weaving! Err, well, I'm really trying to weave... 

A few years ago my boyfriend made a card-weaving loom. It's awesome. I got so excited about making straps and trim, I started working on it right away. Then I did what I always do, I set it aside telling myself that I'd get back to it soon, and forgot about it. 

Fast forward a few years... I decided to pick up the loom and start weaving again. With a card-weaving loom, after every pass of the string (I'm sorry I don't really know what the different parts are called, I'm still learning the whole process), you need to turn the cards either toward you, or away from you before you can make another pass with the string. I often forget which way I need to turn the cards, but that's okay, I have fun with it anyway and I can usually fix any mistakes that I've made. 

 So, anyway, I was weaving along, having a great time, when I broke a string! Arg! Noooo! How did this happen? My life is over, and everything sucks forever...
 Okay, well, maybe not forever... I called my boyfriend and he told me how to fix the torn string. He told me to get some thread, and tie it to either end of the tear, making sure that it would be taut. Okay, that doesn't sound so bad, I think I can do that...
 Voila! My repair actually looks pretty good! Awesome! I rock! This is great, okay, weaving again... I go back to what I was doing, paying careful attention to which way I'm supposed to be turning the cards. The repair is holding and everything looks great. Then the strap that I'm weaving is getting long, and I need to turn the loom. Okay, I can do this, I'm awesome, right? I turn the loom and keep weaving, no problem... until the string breaks again...
What? Why does this keep happening. And yes, it's the same string. Only this time it was nice enough to break before it passed through the cards, so now, not only do I have to tie it off again, but I also have to figure out which card it was supposed to go through and re-thread it... Grr... Okay, not so bad, I can do this, I can figure it out.
And I did! I got it re-threaded and tied off. And I'm pretty certain that the only reason it tore was because it was too loose after I turned the loom, and I don't have to turn it again for a while, so I should be fine. I can go back to weaving and enjoying my art project and... Oh...
 
 
I freakin' give up....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment