Monday, May 28, 2012

To Sell or Not To Sell?

     Over the last few weeks, I've been getting back into some of the craft projects that have been sitting around my house for god-only-knows how long. You might have read about my adventures in card-loom weaving (I still need to finish that project), and I've been knitting a lot too. I'm feeling pretty happy about it all.
     Right now I'm unemployed, mostly. I graduated with my BA in English about a month ago, and I've been looking for work, but it's slow going. I'm sending out resumes like crazy, but haven't actually heard back from anyone yet. In the mean time I'm working part-time doing medical billing, but that's only for about 6 or so hours a week. I'm also going to be getting into some volunteer work soon (more on that when it happens), but that still leaves me with a lot of free time to fill.
     I've been reading more, and I love that. I've been watching some great movies on TCM, and I love that too, but mostly I'm loving the fact that I've gotten back into my crafts.
     Knitting and weaving gives me something productive to do with my time. I love the fact that I can take a simple ball of yarn (or maybe two or three) and turn it into a scarf. My skills aren't great right now, I would still classify myself as a beginner, but I'm having fun with it.
     The problem is, the scarves are starting to pile up. :o) I've got at least three finished ones, and two more that I'm working on. Over the past few days I've begun to wonder if anyone out there would be interested in buying them. I've been a fan of etsy for a long time now, and I really love the idea of selling my scarves online (and making a little bit of money). I'm not really interested in turning this into a business, but it would be nice if I could sell a scarf or two and make enough money to keep funding this as a hobby. 
     The quality of my scarves isn't great though, like I said, I'm still a beginner. But I'm thinking of trying to sell them anyway. I figure as long as I'm honest about the quality of my goods, and my pries reflect that quality, it shouldn't be a problem.
      I'd love to hear what you guys think. I need some pros and cons here, and if you guys have any thoughts, please please please leave them in the comments!

Thanks! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment