Sunday, March 9, 2014

Why I Love My Earskins

Back in August I started stretching my ears. For those of you who are not familiar with this type of body modification, stretching your ears involves using tapers or tape to stretch an existing lobe piercing to a larger size. Stretched ears (and the jewelry that fits that) are measured in a unit called a gauge. If you got your ears pierced with a gun (like I did...) the holes in your ears are probably an 18 or a 20 gauge.

It's taken me almost 7 months to stretch my ears from that starting size to their current size, which is an 8g. I like having my ears at an 8, and I plan to stay at this size for a while, so I decided that I should get some nice jewelry that fit an 8 gauge.

I'd heard of the store Body Art Forms, and decided to browse their offerings and see if there was anything that I liked. After only a few minutes on the site, I had already decided that I wanted at least one of everything there! But, realizing that I don't have that kind of budget, I decided to pick out one pair of "earrings" and start from there.

So I picked out a pair of silicone earskins in pink. They're essentially flexible tunnels that you can wear in your ears.

I took this one out just so I could take  a picture for you!

As soon as they arrived, I had to try them on! It took some doing to get them in (since they're silicone and flexible, it can be pretty tricky to shove 'em trough a piercing, even a stretched one), but once I did I knew that I had made the right choice! I love my earskins.

Why? Let me count the ways.

1. They're super comfy to wear. - I've had them in day and night for over a week and I can hardly feel them, even when I'm sleeping on them.
2. They were so cheap! - I think I spent about $10 total on them (they were priced individually), and that was including shipping.
3. They're way cute! - I love the way they look.
4. They were exactly what I had in mind when I started stretching my ears. - Here's a tangent, I used to watch LA Ink when it was on, and I remember that one of the artists wore a large pair of hoops through her stretched ears. I loved the look, and that's what I had in mind when I first started stretching my ears.

So there you have it. I'm totally in love with my silicone earskins from Body Art Forms, and I don't care who knows it.

I love that I can wear a 14g hoop through my earskins!

Would I buy more jewelry from Body Art Forms? Absolutely! When I ordered my earskins, they sent me 4 o-rings, a gauge card and a sticker for free! :o) It was such a fun and easy shopping experience, I would recommend them to anyone looking to get good quality jewelry for ear/body piercings. Personally, I've been ogling their wooden jewelry and will probably be making another purchase soon!

And if I do, I'm sure you'll hear about it right here, so stay tuned!


P.S. For those of you who might be wanting to try stretching a piercing, I love Morgan Joyce's no-nonsense guide.



UPDATE (3-28-14): I love my ear-skins so much, I ordered another pair:

No comments:

Post a Comment